The following are key points from the meeting hosted in San Diego by Mexican immigration on Thursday, 10/17/13. The San Diego Port Tenants, Port of San Diego, Sportfishing Association of California and other key stakeholders were present. This meeting was the formal roll out of the new process where persons transiting to Mexican Territorial waters will be required to complete a visitor request form and pay on-line a $23 fee. The following are facts from the meeting:
1. The requirement for this process and the $23 fee is based in Mexican Law.
2. This applies in the Mexican Territorial waters from 0-12 miles from the Mexican shore or land mass.
3. The web site and instructions can be found at WWW.INM.Gob.MX. There is an icon at the bottom of the page for visitors. Make sure to click the English tab on the tab of the page to proceed.
4. As a product of the meeting SAC is providing Mexican Immigration with recommendations on how to streamline the process from the users standpoint.
5. INNOCENT PASSAGE: Based on all the information we have at this time, transiting water WITHOUT engaging in any activity (example: diving, fishing, whale watching, guided tours for profit) would be exercising the "right of innocent passage." It remains unclear whether or not regattas are considered innocent passage.
We have also been informed that an adult can now apply for an FMM permit on behalf of a minor. We are waiting for a response on types of government-issued identification that will be acceptable.
Please click here for a border map. This map has the following coordinates:
- Lat 32 32.063 N Lon 117 07.486 W
- Lat 32 31.664 N Lon 117 14.324 W
- Lat 32 33.206 N Lon 117 15.849 W
- Lat 32 33.914 N Lon 117 19.485 W
As refinements to the process are made we will inform you of the changes. This was clearly a positive meeting. The fact the Mexican leadership took the time to provide this meeting and go to the lengths it did demonstrated the level of cooperation that is growing in order to restore tourism to the region both north and south of the border.
We will keep you updated as information is received.